Saturday, January 15, 2011



Ok, so I have a love/hate relationship with "stuff". I really, really want to be the perfect Miss Minimalist, but I have an over-abundance of absolutely beautiful things, craft and art supplies, handmade art, and..... I really do like shoes. *blushes*

I would LOVE to be the girl who can pack for a trip to Europe in 15 minutes, neatly stashing everything in a single backpack.

So, I've been a bit of a de-cluttering obsessed freak for about 2 years, now, and never feel like I get anywhere. Then, a recent occurrence in my life left me feeling absolutely couldn't-care-less about, you got it - stuff. I won't go into details, but I'm loving this new freedom to simply do away with all of these unnecessary things, and be freer, lighter, simpler, more beautiful; and do away with the consumeristic tendencies our society is soooo ready to instill in us all.

I've read some fantastic, super helpful books on the subject; books that inspire without making you feel guilty or setting down hard and fast rules. After all, everyone's style is different.

So, I finally managed to tackle my shoes and actually make progress - going from 10 pairs of winter/general use shoes (ridiculous, I know) to 6 (I'm not there yet, but I'm making progress!) Unfortunately, I need to keep my boots and everyday shoes, along with shoes for work... Not sure what I'm going to do to remedy that. My Summer shoes are packed away at the moment, as I only keep out my current season's clothing; but they pretty much just consist of an additional 2-3 pairs of sandals/flip-flops, and I'll tackle them in a bit. Wish I had taken some before and after pictures of my closet....

The Joy of Less, by Francine Jay -Amazon.com

Anyways, here's a couple of the best, most inspiring minimalist living/de-cluttering books I've read. If you have any interest in that direction, these are both a fantastic read!

Anyone else working towards minimalism/simplicity? Care to share?

~*V*~


No comments: